Sprayer Repair DIY
Repairing a Pump that's Attached to an Engine and Gearbox
We’ve received a good amount of questions about how to remove a pump from the gas engine and gearbox on various sprayers. With so many pieces and sprayer parts, it’s easy to get hung up, especially if you forget to remove a bolt.Let's walk through the process using the popular Hypro D30 pump as an example.
Before we get started, here are the tools you’ll need to have on hand to make this run smoothly:
- Allen key(s)
- Flat chisel
- Pry bar
1. Drain the Oil
First, undo the bottom drain plug at the bottom of the gearbox and drain the oil into a pan. Clean up any mess. You’re now ready to disassemble.
Remove the five bolts that connect the two halves of the gearbox. There are four large bolts that face the pump and one medium sized bolt at the bottom that faces the engine. Remove these five bolts and separate the two components.
Tip: If you have trouble, this is where the flat chisel and hammer come into play. To get the separation started between the two components, lightly hammer the chisel into the crevice that joins the two components and you’ll have them apart in no time.
Set the engine to the side for a moment as we focus on the gearbox and pump that are still connected. Inside the gearbox you’ll see a gear and three bolts. Remove the three bolts. Then separate the gearbox from the pump. This will allow you to have better access to the pump and/or replace the pump altogether if necessary.
Tip: Use your flat chisel to hold the gear in place while you loosen the bolts.
To separate the other part of the gearbox from the engine, you’ll need to remove the four small bolts that connect the two components. Then you may have to enlist a variety of tactics to separate the two. You could turn the gearbox and using a rubber mallet gently tap the gearbox to loosen it. Another option is to use a pry bar or two to nudge the gearbox off the engine. Worst-case scenario is that you destroy the gearbox in the process and will need to replace the gearbox altogether.
Tip: Cut down a standard Allen key that fits this size of bolt. A shorter Allen key will provide easier access to take the top bolts out.
3. Finish the Repairs
From here you will have access to make the repairs needed. If you get stuck along the way, give our customer service technicians a call at 800-228-0905.
New Product Line: Kings Steel Sprayers
Kings Sprayers are now Available with a Rugged Steel Frame
Kings Steel Sprayers are built on steel frames, designed to stand up to harsh conditions and use, while offering cost savings over the original aluminum frame Kings Sprayers. They are an ideal entry-level sprayer for those just entering the spraying industry, or those who spray more infrequently.
Read More About Kings Steel Sprayers
Shop Kings Steel Sprayers
Sprayer Depot is committed to serving you!
- Order at sprayerdepot.com, call 1-800-228-0905, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Chat available at sprayerdepot.com
- Have a question? Email email@example.com, or call our knowledgable Customer Service Technicians at 1-800-228-0905
- Orders over $100 enjoy FREE Shipping (some exclusions apply), and are shipped out the same day when ordered by 5pm (ET)
- Sprayers ship for a flat rate to the 48 contiguous states
- QuickShip Kings Sprayers are ready to ship same day when ordered by 12 noon (ET)
- Central Florida Showroom open Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm at 7800 N. Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando
- Orders are shipped from distribution centers in Orlando, Florida, Salt Lake City, Utah and Kansas City, Missouri for fast shipping
- Want to hear what customers say about Sprayer Depot? Visit our Customer Reviews page.
Sprayer Depot specializes in spray equipment, parts and accessories for commercial use. Agriculture, horticulture, lawn & landscaping, and pest control industries, as well as theme parks/resorts/hotels, and golf & recreational facilities shop at Sprayer Depot. Kings Sprayers are proudly made in America at the Sprayer Depot headquarters in Orlando, Florida.
We appreciate your business, and look forward to assisting you again in the near future. Happy Spraying!