Replace the Diaphragm on a KAPPA-40 Diaphragm Pump
Spray Equipment Repair DIY How To Repair Video
Many of the repairs on spray equipment are fairly quick and easy to do yourself, saving you time and money. Replacing the diaphragm on a KAPPA-40 is no exception. The diaphragms are essential to optimally working diaphragm pumps, and they do wear out quickly with heavy use. Keeping these in good working order will ensure you are getting the most from your investment and help avoid costly breakdowns and downtime.
The Sprayer Depot Video Library
The Sprayer Depot Video Library on YouTube is full of helpful how to videos, including several repair videos for common spray equipment, pumps and accessories.
KAPPA-40 Diaphragm Repair Video and Step-by-Step Directions
- A screwdriver
- 1/2" socket
- 11/16" socket
- Diaphragm kit (2 diaphragms, 2 sets of O-rings and an air accumulator diaphragm)
- Loosen the bolts in one of the two head assemblies to remove it
- Remove the diaphragm nut and washer using the wrench
- Remove the diaphragm
- Remove the piston sleeve
- Drain the internal oil
- Loosen the bolts on the second head to remove it
- Perform steps 2-5 for the second head
- Clean both sides of the pump with break cleaner
- Place the piston sleeve back in place in one of the two heads
- Place the diaphragm inside. The diaphragm has a beveled side which needs to be facing up
- Use the wrench to tighten the nut and washer back into place
- On each of the two head assemblies remove the inside valve assemble
- Replace the spring, valve seat (beveled side down), and large metal seat
- Replace O-ring with a new one
- The other valve assembly has the exact same parts but reversed (follow steps 13-14)
- Switch to the other head and perform steps 13-15 for this side as well
- Place the head assembly back in place on the side where you replaced the piston sleeve (step 9)
- Tighten bolts in a clockwise pattern to tighten evenly
- Switch to the other head and use non-detergent 40 weight pump oil to fill that open side
- Place piston sleeve back in place
- Clean up any excess oil
- Replace diaphragm, making sure that beveled side is facing up just like in step 13
- Use the wrench to tighten the nut and washer
- Place the head assembly back in place and tighten screws in clockwise pattern to tighten evenly
- There is a clear bolt on the side of the pump and the oil level should be visible right in the center
- Remove the air accumulator head by loosening the bolts
- Once opened, remove the air accumulator diaphragm and replace with new
- Close everything back and tighten for a secure fitting
You are all done! Our customer service reps are available during normal business hours Monday through Friday. They are happy to help if you have questions about spray equipment or repairs, or need help locating replacement parts and kits.
Subscribe to the Latest News, Repair Videos & Helpful Information from Sprayer Depot
Receive the latest blog posts, product announcements & company news direct to your inbox:
Sprayer Depot Video Library:
Be among the first to know when we release new repair videos, exclusive sprayer 360º video tours, new product releases and more - subscribe to Sprayer Depot's YouTube Channel:
NEW Product Line: Hose Reels by Kings Sprayers®
The #1 Choice for Quality Hose Reels
Kings Sprayers® has expanded and is now offering hose reels! These reels are proudly built by Kings Sprayers at Sprayer Depot's Orlando headquarters. They feature stainless steel inlet swivel and internal pipe, an aluminum frame that's lightweight and corrosion resistant, and a 2-year limited warranty.
Sprayer Depot is committed to serving you!
- Shop our interactive online catalog
- Order at sprayerdepot.com, call 1-800-228-0905, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online Chat available at sprayerdepot.com
- Have a question? Email email@example.com, or call our knowledgable Customer Service Technicians at 1-800-228-0905
- Orders over $100 enjoy FREE Shipping (some exclusions apply), and are shipped out the same day when ordered by 5pm (ET)
- Sprayers ship for a flat rate to the 48 contiguous states
- QuickShip Kings Sprayers are ready to ship within 48-72 hours Monday-Friday.
- Orders are shipped from distribution centers in Orlando, Florida, Salt Lake City, Utah, Lawrence, Kansas, Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania, and Grapevine, Texas for fast shipping.
- Want to hear what customers say about Sprayer Depot? Visit our Customer Reviews page. We are honored to be named to Bizrate's Circle of Excellence for outstanding customer reviews!
- Join the Sprayer Depot Loyalty Rewards Program!
Sprayer Depot specializes in spray equipment, parts and accessories for commercial use. Agriculture, horticulture, lawn & landscaping, and pest control industries, as well as theme parks/resorts/hotels, and golf & recreational facilities shop at Sprayer Depot. We ship worldwide. Kings Sprayers are proudly made in America at the Sprayer Depot headquarters in Orlando, Florida.
We appreciate your business, and look forward to assisting you again in the near future. Happy Spraying!